Sunday, July 28, 2013

Chair

Since we put the lighted drawing table in the basement, we have been looking for just the right chair for it.  We looked at many furniture stores, not able to find what we were looking for.  Evan brought a chair home from work yesterday that he got from a salvage dealer he uses for work (for free) and I thought he must be kidding.  It was filthy, the wooden spindles were loose, the leather seat was torn, and the footrest was brass (think 90s).  It needed a lot of work.  He loved it and since it was for his drawing table, I guess the decision was his to make...

Evan is up north golfing this weekend and the boys and I had planned to spend the day at Como Park.  Mother Nature had other plans and it rained all.day.long.  Not a heavy rain, but enough to be a nuisance and keep us inside.  I thought I'd finish the chair and surprise Evan.  I took the seat off, gave the wood a good cleaning and glued the loose spindles down.  I spray painted the foot rest first with a nickel color and it looked awful.  I sanded it down and started over, this time with black.  Much better.  I used a leather repair kit which worked great on our couch last year, but did not work so well for the tear in the seat.  I ended up blending in electrical tape, which sounds so redneck, but I don't think you'd notice it at all, unless you were looking for it.  {We plan to recover the leather cushion at some point, but this will get us by until then.}  I put it back together and was pleased with the results.  Hopefully Evan will be when he sees it, too! :)

Chair before - it's tough to tell how filthy and in need of TLC it is in this picture:

Cushion before:  

Footrest before:


Chair after:


Cushion after:

Footrest after:

The newly finished work area:


No comments: