Sunday, January 4, 2009

Vocal Smoke Detectors

I watched a documentary several months ago that gave a startling statistic - 19 out of 20 children will not wake up while sleeping from traditional smoke alarms. I watched a video of children repeatedly sleeping through the smoke alarms going off in their bedrooms. I was shocked and scared enough to do a little research and find the new KidSmart Vocal Smoke Detectors, sold on Amazon for $128.99 were on special for $9.99 each. I purchased 3 of them, 1 for each of the kids' rooms. Evan installed them today, along with the "help" of Ryan and Carter! The thing I like about these smoke alarms is the "familar voice" alarm message, recorded by you for specific messages for each of your children. Ryan heard Evan recording this in Kyle's room and we explained to him that the smoke alarm would talk to him in case of an emergency and he should listen to the instructions and get out of the house as quickly as possible. As I was cleaning up the lunch dishes, Ryan went into Kyle's room and whispered to the smoke alarm "Hi, Kyle - it's me, Ryan - it's okay buddy...can you hear me?" He couldn't figure out why it wasn't responding to him! (Evan's recorded message on Kyle's alarm was "Kyle, Kyle, it's me, Dad - it's okay buddy.....") The things kids pick up on! :) I hope I will never go through a house fire with my kids, but heaven forbid we ever have to, I know I can sleep better knowing I have these alarms in each of the kids' rooms.







No comments: