Saturday, January 8, 2011

Skating Lessons

Ryan started skating lessons at a local warming house today.  At one point, he looked at me and said "signing me up for skating lessons may be the stupidest thing you've ever done".  I gave him the look - we don't say stupid in our house, but that wasn't the point.  It was hard, learning to stand up on skates, much less make your way across the ice on them is hard work.  Ryan is used to excelling in sports - he comes by them pretty naturally and he is a risk taker.  He is not used to struggling to accomplish a sport.  He struggled today, but I am proud of him.  When it got hard - he probably fell at least 100 times during the 45 minute class - he got back up every time and he did it.  I want him to learn to skate; it's tough to live in the Land of 10,000 lakes and not be able to skate.  I also selfishly want a blading partner, so I'm pushing him a bit!  When he had the opportunity to go skating with his buddy later in the afternoon, I was a little worried he would say no, but he didn't hesitate, and they were on their skates the entire time we were at the rink - at least an hour and a half.  What a busy day - no wonder he fell asleep in about two minutes tonight!!!




The "Ryan" look - out of the corner of his eye:

No comments: