Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cub Scout Grad Camp

Today we ran the gamut of ups and downs.  The day started out pouring rain - not the way you'd like to spend any camping weekend!  It finally cleared out in the early afternoon, and the sunshine gave way to a beautiful, nearly perfect weather day at camp.  I then got the dreaded phone call that Evan was taking Ryan to the ER in Wyoming for a broken nose.  I met them there and found out the septum was not deviated, but they were unsure if it was fractured or not.  We will follow up with our ENT this coming week.  He was a tough cookie and wanted to return to camp right away.  We spent the rest of the afternoon at camp - playing ultimate frisbee, catapulting water balloons, potatoes, and watermelon, shooting wrist rockets, having a bonfire, and eating around the campfire.  Carter seemed a little lethargic and wanted me to hold him a lot today, which is not normal.  He asked to lay down (again, not like himself at all) and Evan stayed with him in the cabin while I went to watch Ryan's graduation ceremony.  Ryan had no sooner graduated than I noticed Evan at the top of the hill beckoning me to come up.  I knew it wasn't good - this time Carter had thrown up in bed, covering Evan's sleeping bag and himself.  Ugh.  Time for me to take him home.  He fell asleep on the way home.  I gave him a bath when we got home and he was out cold shortly thereafter.  Ryan and Evan came home not too long after us.  Ryan wasn't thrilled to leave without spending the night, but he needed ibuprofen and a comfy bed with his sore nose.  Everyone is sleeping now, and hearing the ding on the washing machine telling me the bedding is clean tells me that's where I should be as well!  Night, all!!!

Ryan after returning from the ER - you can barely see the swelling and bruising on the side of his nose:

Carter and I on a hike.  He took a break to drink his juice:


Carter found a 'mountain' he had to climb:


The catapult:


Very first launch was a direct hit:


Carter and the other scouts heading for the water balloon:


Boom - it landed right at Carter's feet:

Ryan and a catapulted piece of watermelon:


Ryan and Adam each recovered a potato:

Carter shooting wrist rockets:


Carter and I chilling during free time:


Ryan running after the frisbee:



Getting instructions on ultimate frisbee:


Carter and I relaxing on our cot.  He wanted to write letters on each other's hands to pass the time until dinner:


Last look at the Wolves Den before graduation:


Pack Cubmaster, Mo:


Ryan coming out of the Cub-O-Matic as a Bear:


First look at the Bears Den after Graduation.  Congrats, Scouts!!!! :)


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! You're not kidding about it being a day of ups and downs! It looks like you guys managed to pack in a day of big fun despite the troubles! I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

And I love the Cub-O-Matic! Congratulations on your new Wolf!

The Rissells said...

Oh wow!! What an eventful day!!! Hope all slept well and can relax today. Looks like a fun time from the pictures.